Our immune System has becomes quite the focus in the past couple of years, but did you know your body is exposed to pathogens like viruses every... single... day. For many of us, we don't notice they've arrived, as our immune system kicks into gear and sets the wheels in motion to kill them off before they set up camp. It isn't until they pitch tents and form armies within us we really begin to feel the effects.
As humans, we have been equipped with an incredible army which is what has kept the homosapien species alive for over 200,000 years. The problem we face today is the amount of toxins around us that are killing off our natural immunity and most of us are no longer nourishing our armies and as a result they weaken inside us.
Now is the perfect time to begin to strengthen that army within you and protect your castle (the body)!
Our immune system consists of a variety of cells ("soldiers") that help chase off pathogens such as viruses. There are a range of nutrients our body requires to help armour these soldiers, yet I see too many clients lacking due to stress, poor diet and lifestyle choices.
My top 5 go to nutrients for immunity include: -
1. Zinc: Containing anti-viral and antioxidant properties, this mineral has been shown to strengthen our immune system, decrease viral replication, reduce lung damage and minimise further infections.
2. Vitamin C: Containing anti-viral and antioxidant properties, this vitamin has also been shown to stimulate the immune system, support while blood cell production and reduce severity and duration of symptoms.
3. Vitamin D: Containing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, this vitamin/hormone helps to modulate our immune system and has been proven to significantly reduce severity of COVID-19 and ICU admissions.
4. N-Acetylcysteine (NAC): Containing anti-oxidant and anti-viral properties, this amino acid type nutrient is the precursor to the most powerful antioxidant within our body, glutathione. NAC has been proven to suppress the replication of the virus, improve symptoms and reduce inflammation.
5. Quercetin: Containing antioxidant and anti-viral properties, this flavonoid has been shown to significantly improve virus clearance and interfere with the virus' entry and replication.
Unfortunately, if your body is lacking these nutrients it will find a way to get them and this often means depleting other processes happening in your body which are not as crucial. Things such as hair growth, proper thyroid function, digestion, reproduction and glowing skin.
Lacking these nutrients can lead to long term effects such as chronic disease.
Not only is it important to make sure our soldiers are ready for war but to make sure we replenish their supplies for another attack.
* All information above is for general purposes only and not individual advice. Supplements should not replace wholefoods. It is highly recommended supplements be prescribed by a qualitifed health practitioner. All clinical research and sources can be provided upon request.